Purpose of this Position: Patient Service Representatives (PSR) are responsible to assist with patient appointment needs of the clinic, check in, payment collection, appointment schedules and insurance verifications. The incumbent will utilize the electronic health record system to access confidential patient information and schedules in order to assist the patient and provide the clinic staff and providers with needed information. PSR’s are expected to be friendly and provide excellent customer service ensuring patients are informed and well cared for while waiting for their appointment.
1. High School Diploma or equivalent is required.
2. Previous customer service experience is required; healthcare/medical office experience, medical terminology and healthcare insurance experience is preferred; electronic health record experience is a plus and medical terminology is preferred.
3. Excellent communication skills; exhibit a friendly and cheerful disposition with a strong customer service focus
4. Previous computer experience preferred, including MS Word, Excel and Outlook.
5. Accurately type 45-50 wpm.
6. Bilingual – English/Spanish preferred. Spanish required in some locations and for some shifts.
1. Greet patients as they check in and register patients according to established protocols.
2. Assist patients to complete all necessary forms and documentation including medical insurance.
3. Ensure patient data, registration and billing information is accurate and up to date.
4. Inform patients of medical office procedures, policies and any delays/changes to their appointment.
5. Move patients through appointment as scheduled (arrive, check in and check out).
6. Answer incoming phone calls, manage inquiries and direct calls as necessary.
7. Transfer calls as required by the established proto col.
8. Schedule patient appointments.
9. Collect co-pays and payments.
10. Enroll patients in the sliding fee scale program according to established policy.
11. Enter charges, payments and adjustments daily.
12. File registration cards, encounters, daily journal report, sign in sheets daily.
13. Respond and comply to requests for information.
14. Verify insurance eligibility and Primary Care Physician (PCP).
15. Verify and balance cash drawer to end of the day journal report.
16. Scan documents into the practice management system.
17. Ensure all patients are called for reminder appointments daily.
18. Ensure all patients that miss their appointments are called following protocol.
19. Maintain stock of forms and office supplies.
20. Ensure reception area is well maintained, neat and clean.
21. Assist with meeting quality measures by completing tasks related to VFHC initiatives.
22. Safeguard patient privacy and confidentiality.
23. Complete other duties as assigned.
1. Must be able to lift 25 lbs.
2. Continuous sitting, standing, walking.
3. Correctable vision and hearing.
4. The ability to communicate information and ideas so others will understand. Must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations.
5. The ideal candidate must be able to complete all physical requirements of the job with or without a reasonable accommodation.
6. Need to have Covid vaccination or be willing to get vaccinated. Accommodations considered for Medical and Religious reasons.