|Title:||Certified Coder - Lead|
|Company:||Valley Family Health Care|
JOB TITLE: Certified Coder – Lead
HOURS: Full Time
STARTING DATE: ASAP
STARTING PAY: Commensurate with experience
REPORTS TO: Revenue Cycle Director
Purpose of this Position: The Lead Certified Coder is responsible to review charges and codes submitted in the EHR for each patient to ensure the codes are in accordance with current practices and principles of ICD-10, CPT and HCPCS guidelines. Training of providers and staff on proper coding and documentation will be a key responsibility along with establishing a quality system of audits to ensure correct coding. The incumbent will need to be highly focused, use attention to detail, research coding or reimbursement issues and promptly communicate concerns, discrepancies, or unclear information. Continual education on coding and documentation will be a requirement of the position. This position will report directly to the Revenue Cycle Director.
1. Associate degree in accounting, business administration or other related field is required.
2. Coding certification is required from AAPC (American Academy of Professional Coders), RHIT (Registered Health Information Technician), RHIA (Registered Health Information Administrator), CCS (Certified Coding Specialist), or CCA (Certified Coding Associate)
3. Minimum of 2-year experience as a coder in a medical practice and knowledge of Medicaid and Medicare billing regulations is preferred.
4. Working knowledge of EHR/EMR, Intergy is preferred and proficient with MS Office, specifically in Excel; recent experience with ICD-10/CPT coding principals.
5. In depth knowledge of medical, anatomy, physiology terminology a plus.
6. Experience in chart audits, with certification preferred.
7. 2 years managerial experience is preferred.
8. Able to work with providers to improve coding accuracy.
9. Interpersonal and communication skills and techniques necessary for effective interaction with physicians, managers, co-workers, etc.
10. Able to implement sound judgment through use of guidelines and direction from providers; excellent organizational skills with the ability to accomplish multiple tasks.
11. Able to maintain professional manner during stressful situations.
12. Neat, professional appearance with a pleasant and positive manner.
13. Willing to work for the successful accomplishment of VFHC goals and objectives.
1. Provide technical expertise related to CPT (Current Procedural Terminology) and ICD-10 (International Classification of Diseases) coding.
2. Train staff proper coding procedures, coding and diagnosis as appropriate to position, including all new providers within 30 days of employment.
3. Evaluate medical records and, as needed, accurately code appropriate clinical diagnoses and procedure codes according to ICD and CPT principles and conventions for all provider visits and/or procedures.
4. Contact providers for clarification in cases where documentation in the record is unclear or insufficient to determine correct code assignment.
5. Appropriately assist physicians and other staff members with any problems and/or questions concerning the coding and/or documentation requirements of the medical record.
6. Perform audits on all providers at a minimum annually and more frequently to ensure accuracy of documentation, coding and diagnosis.
7. Coordinate coding and billing staff to maintain all coding completed within 48 hours of receipt of documentation.
8. Monitor coding staff’s performance and assist with performance evaluations.
9. Coordinate process improvement efforts to correct ongoing coding issues.
10. Perform all functions according to established policies, procedures, regulatory and accreditation requirements as well as applicable professional standards.
11. Continually succeed at accurately meeting productivity standards.
12. Know, understand, incorporate and demonstrate the Mission, Vision and Values; maintain patient confidentiality at all times.
14. Other duties as assigned.
1. Able to lift greater than 25 lbs. on a regular basis.
2. Prolonged standing, sitting, walking, stooping, bending, kneeling, stretching and lifting required.
3. Normal manual dexterity.
4. Must be able to speak clearly.
5. Correctable vision and hearing.
6. Able to work with computers and necessary office equipment.
|Address:||1441 NE 10th Ave.|
Payette, ID 83661