- A Guide for Primary Care: Communicating to patients both before and after they visit the ED about after-hours care, office hours, and what to do if they have an emergency can prevent unnecessary visits to the emergency room.
- Hotspotting Data Toolkit: Some organizations have created health care teams to better coordinate the care of "super-utilizers" - those who visit the emergency department for care much more often than the average.
- Health Integration Project: Emergeny Room Diversion Project that explores some key strategies for reducing emergency department utilization
- EDIE/PreManage: Web-based tools that provide real time information to primary care clinics about their patients' emergency department utilization
- Opportunities, Solutions and Drivers for Change: A look at the financial impact of emergency department overuse and some potential strategies for addressing it
- Community Care Coordination Pathways: A quick start guide to developing a plan for care coordination and connecting with patients who are at risk of high utilization
- Connecting with your CCO: Many Coordinated Care Organizations are starting to send data regarding emergency department utilization to clinics. Contact your organization's CCO to see what data is available.
- Coordinated Care Organization (CCO) Incentive Measure Definition (Outpatient and ED Utilization)
- Hospital Transformation Performance Program - PCP Notification in EDIE
- Core Performance Measure Definition (Avoidable ED Visits)
Resources and Tools for Reducing Emergency Department Utilization Rates:
Learning & Sharing Session: Part 2: Local Efforts to Reduce Emergency Department Utilization - Mar. 2017 Version:1
Learning & Sharing Session: Local and National Efforts to Reduce Emergency Department Utilization - Dec. 2016 Version:1
Learning & Sharing Session: Emergency Department Utilization - Apr. 2015 Version:1
Interventions to Reduce Inappropriate ED Use - Literature Review from Pacific Source
Patient Communication Tools and Templates - Supplemental material from Nov. 2014 call Version:1